What's the deal with Nightbot?

You may have noticed a new appearance in the YouTube Live chat during the MRC Live streams.

nightbot

Nightbot is an awesome chat bot for Twitch and YouTube. It allows live streamers to automate moderation of their live chat, post messages, run giveaways and more. You also get chat log storage and search along with analytics (like top chatters).

Since Nightbot swooped onto the scene I’ve noticed that many regulars are getting “spanner-hammered” by this benevolent bot.

If you’ve had an issue with Nightbot on the live stream or you noticed something that didn’t seem quite right post it here.

I noticed today that regular viewer @Renato was getting bot-bashed for posting too many emojis :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: - yikes! As a result I’m creating a regulars list meaning regulars won’t get punished for excess emojis (within acceptable limits) but new visitors will still get a warning. That should keep regular chatters happy but still prevent messages like this one:

Hi! :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

I have the ability to tweak the controls so that it becomes more of a laid back affair and not something that causes us all to fear singularity. Keep me posted!

2 Likes

Great idea Mike. I saw that too and thought it was a bit excessive.

1 Like

“What’s the deal with NightBot?”
Hhmm. Well watching Mike’s initial reaction to its work, I would say it is already responsible for more laughs than Night Court the 80s tv show. But even I doubt that is what you’re asking.

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your tweak. However I checked if it was true that NightBot was giving a warning when more than 3 emojis were posted.
Normally I post one emoji per time.

That’s cool! I bet Nightbot can help a lot, but also the “criteria” can be a little “square”, good that you have the control of it and can manage that criteria @Mike.

Greetings!

Just adding a bit of a note here:

Do not “trigger” Nightbot on purpose, for laughs or to test whether or not he will react. Just leave him to do his job. triggering Nighbot just leads to unnecessary comments in the live chat, that block the way for questions and discussions.

(+ I wanted to test staff posts… :joy:)

3 Likes

Yes, be nice to the fellow. He put me in timeout for posting 4 emojis lol What fun that was!

And he gets picky with too many messages in a row.

To him that’s considered spamming, and fair enough. But sometimes, because I type so fast, I can tend to do multiple chats and it did block me once for that too. It was totally unintentional on my behalf, but I thought again, “You mean bugger.”

Anyway, being spannered now I am immune to his tight rules, but now I know what he looks for, I will make sure I don’t do what he looks for.

1 Like

I don’t run a live stream anywhere but I did look into Nightbot and you can adjust his settings to enable or disable a lot of features. I’m sure it’s just a tweak that Mike could set up when he has time.

Youtube Nightbot Moderator settings

1 Like