I get asked this often during my YouTube live streaming sessions, “Mike, what microphone are you using?”
The answer is the Audio Technica AT4033aSM.
It’s a studio condenser microphone and has served me well since 2012. It’s survived a couple of house moves intact and comes with a lovely shock mount (that’s what the SM bit stands for). You need to purchase a boom arm separately and I highly recommend doing so.
So why do I use the Audio Technica AT4033a microphone for my YouTube streaming?
- The sound is crisp and beautiful one of the best mics I’ve spoken into for the price.
- I can also place the microphone just out of shot and it picks me up perfectly.
- It’s used at radio stations. Many of the radio stations I’ve worked at have an AT4033 or two.
- There is a low cut switch right on the mic. Great if you have planes, trains or cars zooming by.
- Durable - it has stood the test of time for me.
I recommend you have a fairly quiet room to stream from as this microphone is sensitive and will pick up more than a dynamic microphone would.
Not only is this the best microphone for YouTube, in my opinion, it is also great for vocals and voice over production too. I use it to voice all of the jingles I make at Music Radio Creative.
What microphone are you using and why is it the best for you? Let me know!