What's the Best Microphone for YouTube?

I get asked this often during my YouTube live streaming sessions, “Mike, what microphone are you using?”

The answer is the Audio Technica AT4033aSM.

It’s a studio condenser microphone and has served me well since 2012. It’s survived a couple of house moves intact and comes with a lovely shock mount (that’s what the SM bit stands for). You need to purchase a boom arm separately and I highly recommend doing so.

So why do I use the Audio Technica AT4033a microphone for my YouTube streaming?

• The sound is crisp and beautiful one of the best mics I’ve spoken into for the price.
  • I can also place the microphone just out of shot and it picks me up perfectly.
  • It’s used at radio stations. Many of the radio stations I’ve worked at have an AT4033 or two.
  • There is a low cut switch right on the mic. Great if you have planes, trains or cars zooming by.
  • Durable - it has stood the test of time for me.

I recommend you have a fairly quiet room to stream from as this microphone is sensitive and will pick up more than a dynamic microphone would.

Not only is this the best microphone for YouTube, in my opinion, it is also great for vocals and voice over production too. I use it to voice all of the jingles I make at Music Radio Creative.

What microphone are you using and why is it the best for you? Let me know!

3 Likes

Looks great Mike. Very Pro.

2 Likes

What is your go to mic? I use an sm7b. Thanks Mike

2 Likes

Depending of who am I recording and what I need I use At4050, AKG C414, Sure SM7B, AT3035 (have these two for backup), oldy but goldy Sennheiser MD 441u. Most of times I use first two AT4050 for station voices, and AKG for commercials.

1 Like

I love my Rode NT1 and the NT1A!

1 Like

I’m currently using the Focusrite Scarlett Studio CM25

I’m thinking about upgrades and considering one of

• SE Electronics X1 s
  • Rode Procaster
  • AT2020
2 Likes

For SE I’m not sure, I have two procasters, very good for the money, but they need a lot of gain and that turns up noise from electronics in your sound card. I would try to find AT3035 used on ebay. Made in Japan and better than AT2020.

3 Likes

Thanks Saba. Ebay could be a good idea

1 Like

MXL 990 is a great entry-level mic below the 100$ range.

I have one, and it’s not good. It’s harsh in top end, muddy in low, and I must admit it was mistake to buy it.

Hello Saba,

That’s too bad you’ve had such a bad experience with the MXL. This hasn’t been my experience at all. For myself, the mic has a really rich tone and compliments my voice well with no muddiness. On some voice projects I’ve chosen this mic over my SM7B. I still would recommend this mic to anyone just starting out, or on a tight budget looking for a decent sounding mic.

Cheers!

T-Bone

There is always an option that I got one with bad components, best thing would be to mod it to U87 :smiley:

1 Like

I use the ebay99

Anything that works for you?

I am currently using the following for different reasons.

This one sounds great for me : Rode NT USB