What is your home recording studio setup?

I thought it would be cool to know what everybody is using at the (home) studio… So… What kind of equipment do you use in your home studio?

In my home studio I use the following…

Hardware:

M-Audio FastTrack (USB Audio Interface)
Rode NT1-A (Microphone)
IKEA Closet with audiopadding (Yes pretty cheap)

Software:

Adobe Audition
FL Studio

Hi I’m using the following stuff to make radio show’s (voice-tracking)

Hardware:
Laptop
Rode NT USB (microphone)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro (headphone)
Dateq mixer
Behringer HA4700 headphone amplifier
Behringer MDX 2600 dynamic processor)
KRK systems Rokit 5 (monitor)

Software:
Zenlex Radio Manager (automation-system)
Audacity

3 Likes

Hey this is my setup.

Hardware
Acer xr341ck
Win PC
M-Audio keystation 49
scarlett 2i2
Rode NT1-Kit + PSA1 studio arm
Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro
JBL LSR305 x 2

Software
ProTools 12
Ableton Live 9
RadioDJ (Automation)
Adobe CC (for different purposes)

pic: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

1 Like

I guess sharing my setup won’t hurt. Do note though that I use my Mac for other things than just audio work, like programming/extension development for instance.

Hardware:

• MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015)
  • Scarlett 2i2
  • Sennheiser MK4 Condenser Microphone
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

Software:

• Adobe Audition CC (2017 and up)
  • Logic Pro X
  • Mainstage 3
  • AudioFinder

I also made a post dedicated to AudioFinder for those interested:

1 Like

My setup is not really for home but I do voice overs when asked to. It’s for TeenScreen (alot has been donated by SEStechnical.
I have:
Behringer 1002fx desk
UCA202
Lenovo ideapad 310 A10 AMD
Sony ECM-55S
Sennheiser e815s
Various rode mics for mobile phones
Samsung Note 10 N8000 for homemade autocue.
Adobe CC Audition and Premiere Pro
OBS studio
Hope that helps.
Occasionally if running for a long time with OBS it does freeze (after about 2 or 3 hrs) recording video and Audition.

I have a custom built voiceover booth, and use a Neumann TLM103, and Scarlett 2i2 into Adobe Audition.
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
KRK Rockit R5 monitors.

Also Mac Mini for the workhorse.

My studio consists of:

Hardware

• Presonus 16.0.2 Digital Mixing Board
  • EV RE20 Microphone
  • AT2020 Microphone
  • Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones
  • dbx 266xs
  • Presonus Tube Preamplifier
  • Mac Mini (2 monitors connected)
  • Macbook Pro
  • (2) Dell Towers
  • Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
  • 3 Studio Lights
  • 4TB Ext Hard drive

SOFTWARE

• Adobe Audition

• Studio One V3

• Traktor Pro

• Virtual DJ

• Station Playlist Pro

• Stereo Tools

I am selling my AT2020 microphone, Presonus Tube Preamplifier and dbx 266xs…reasonable offers accepted. Upgrading studio equipment…if interested, email me at anthony.r.hall@icloud.com

I use a HP laptop with Audition.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and 2 AKG P120 microphones

For interviews I use a usb microphone (snowball, but looking at different options).

I’m new to all of this and have no idea what I’m doing. I’d like to know how I can improve the audio quality of my podcast.

1 Like

To answer that question @kristi81 we would need to be able to hear how the audio sounds now. In general you want to make sure to get the good sound at source (rather than in a post production). So equipment changes and changes to processes would be the first ones to look at :slight_smile: Do you do in person interviews or over the internet? If so what do you use? Also attach some audio samples for us to hear :slight_smile:

In reply to @kristi81 I’d recommend that the snowball would be the weakest link the in the equipment list you mentioned. You might wish to upgrade that if you’d like to improve your audio quality.

I only use the snowball mic for interviews I travel to. It was a price I could afford for a travel set up.

https://little-crimes-on-the-pr.captivate.fm/listen

Pick any of the first 5 episodes to hear a wide range of audio issues. Episode 5 was when I switched to Audition from Audacity… Lots of audible breaths that I think came up due to the Voice Leveling effect.

Episode 4 I used Alitu and it made certain files so loud it’s practically assault. Definitely not a sound gal lol

The latest episodes don’t sound too bad! The only thing there is definitely voice over the music - levels need adjusting there.

Use a noise gate to trap the breath noises before you use the speech volume leveler. The speech volume leveler will suck them up as it processes the sound so remove as much as you can before.

If the breathes are too loud to noise gate out then try reducing the leveling amount and increasing the dynamic range in the speech volume leveler.

My studio was designed for Radio Production and is the 24/7 home of my Internet station:

Production console/Live On-air board: Arrakis ARC-10BP
24/7 stream Console-non-live hours: Behringer X2222 mixing Console
Audio Interface: Behringer UMC1820
Mic: EV RE20
Mic Proc: DBX 286s
PC: Silent PC purpose-built for studios

Software:
Audio Processing: Stereo Tools
Music Scheduling: Music 1 SE
Automation: PlayoutONE SE
Editing: Adobe Audition

1 Like

Hi All, just found this (old) topic. I see that most of you do live radio. I am a poor guy :slight_smile: and can not affort all these costs. So My solution was to open a paid account at mixcloud where I upload my shows.
My Home studio hardware:
Behringer mixer Xenys X2442 USB
Numark Mixtrack Pro II
Shure MV7 USB / XLR mike
Ableton Novation Launchpad, Easy tool to start jingles
2 PC’s to play the Music and Jingles, 1 PC for recording, all with low noise fans inside

Software I use:
Audobe audition 2021, to record the session
Ableton Live (for the Launchpad)
PC’s working with Windows 10 Pro

The whole set is built in home made flight cases so I can pick up the whole Studio and move it to another location for doing live performance. Then I use also a Behringer amplifier 2000 Watt per channel and Behringer Loudspeakers.

3 Likes

Oh wow, some awesome setups getting shared here.

@Dj-Pablo thanks for posting the photo - looks amazing! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Mike, it was also fun to design and creating the setup. Building it took some time :smiley:
I made the setup so that everything could fit into my VW Transporter.