VO Commercial Demo - Feedback, please!

Hello, MRC!

I just cut my first commercial demo and I want your feedback.

Please let me know what you think:

1. Overall quality
  2. General flow
  3. Order of tracks

Thanks so much! :metal:

• Melanie

Very nice @melscrogg - I would potentially think of including more diversity if you have it. This will increase your chances to get more work. All the samples seem to be focusing on more or less the same style of delivery. Vary it a little if you can. Audio quality is good, samples well produced - so overall fab.

1 Like

I agree with Izabella on more variety. I was once told to think of the audience for the piece. The agency hears hundreds of VO demos, so coming up with something they’ll remember and respond to is essential. If you are using sample scripts then these tend to be very dull. Are you transcribing actual scripts? That sometimes allows a client to hear a ‘real’ version of something they already know. agencies often get asked to produce follow ups to successful campaigns. Also I was told to think Bank (a bank or finance piece), Bar (a drinks promotion or restaurant piece) and Body (a health or fitness piece). This encourages you to think about different characters/voices/pace and to bring them to life for each different style. Wishing you success.

2 Likes

@Izabela and @Stewart_Roxburgh WOW! Thank you both so much for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate you taking the time to write back to me more than you know.

Izabela, yea, you’re totally right… listening back I was very “mom” and “family” oriented. Which isn’t bad, it just pigeon holes me for jobs due to how I voice those jobs. Thank you - your input means a lot to me.

Stewart, I’ve taken copy ideas I like from brands I appreciate/would want to be hired to voiceover and written my own copy. But I really appreciate the BBB idea - I’m going to implement spots like that into my next iteration of the demo. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Absolute pleasure @melscrogg - keep us posted on how you revise along the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do! Thanks, lady.

Hi :wave:t6:, overall quality sounds great to me. I’m a newbie in this field by the way :grin:

Hello, @melscrogg.

Let me begin by letting you know that you have potential to becoming an awesome voiceover artist. Your dition was smooth and flowed like a lazy river. The music choice was good. Your delivery need fine tuning. I noticed that your delivery sounded monotone and didn’t quite fit some of the music. Know the type of commercial you are working on, (As well as who it’s targeted to) the music you’re working with and what your client requires. Knowing these things, as well as relaxing, will have you on the road to voiceover stardom.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for your kind words for taking the time to give me some notes. I really appreciate it.

Hey, Izabela! Would you mind taking a listen to these two? I added a couple of new demos to help with versatility/range but I also would like your input on what you think of the order.

Thanks so much!!

Commercial Demo 5-25|audio
Commercial Demo 5-25 Full Mix 2|audio

MUCH better Melanie! I like the variety of styles/tempo etc. Thumbs up from me :slight_smile:

1 Like

So good to hear. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time review, @Izabela. Many thanks!

Anytime. My best to you and your wonderful endeavor.

@melscrogg the #2 demo was definitely better than the 1st.

More variety different tones and cadences. On the mom type stuff find a cadence that is slightly difference for each and emphasis on different phraseology,

The mix was good
Just my 2 cents

1 Like

MSJ, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate your input.

Hi, Melanie.

MIC DROP! You hit this one out of the park. You’ve improved tremendously. The Southern accent for the beer commercial was perfect. You get two thumbs AND two toes way up. You are on your way to Voiceover stardom.

1 Like

I can’t believe I’m just seeing this! Thank you SO MUCH, @Suhovsky68. That means a lot to me.

1 Like

Hey there @melscrogg I really like your voice! I really loved the 4th commerical that was really good? And did you produce all these commericals yourself? if so, Awesome job! I have no other criticism. U sound natural and love the energy you put off

impressed with the quality of clean notes of sound.
could you help me on the interface you used and what compression and other processing you did on recording this vocal.
Also it would be helpful if you elaborate more on tips and tricks of your experience.

Thanks in advance
baseer

FYI: this is my first post reply, i came to know this community recently to gain and tune my voice.

Hi guys. Is it ok to post Homemade Demos on here?

I made one for freelancing sites and it definitely needs work.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!