Compress live or in post production

Good morning,

Thanks Mike for all the amazing videos!

I have a question which is bugging me a bit…

For a podcast, am I better off processing my voice “live” i.e. using a mic processor and/or something like the Rodecaster Pro.

Or

Should I just record “naturally” and add all the compression and processing in in post-production?

Or… a bit of both?

I have tried various ways of doing this and haven’t quite got to the bottom of it…

Thanks a lot for any guidance you may have!

In my opinion, you are better to do all compressions etc in post production, provided you can reasonably control the levels going in to the DAW. Once it is limited or compressed, iit is virtually impossible to undo this in post production, and it may have unwanted artefacts like excessive ‘breathines’ or ‘pumping’, clicking etc. The exception may be in a live environment with people with poor mic technique.

I think it’s a great idea to add some magic to your “live” audio! Throw in a bit of compression, a noise gate, and definitely a limiter. These goodies will work wonders by keeping your levels consistent, preventing any peaking, and kicking out most of the background noise.

Then, during post-production, you can give your sound an extra polish with some EQ and a touch more compression if needed.

Thanks a lot Mike. Is it bad that I literally read that comment in my head in full Mike Russell style?!

Thinking about it, I guess it’s a similar principle to radio, whereby voice is processed at studio level, then gets compressed again through the transmitters.

My fear is always of over compressing but if I keep it light (2:1) on the RCP and in post production, that should prevent me from sounding too much like Kiss FM when what I want is gentle Radio 4?

Thanks again