Can DaVinci Resolve’s Fairlight audio module replace Adobe Audition?

Mike,

I would like to know if you think DaVinci Resolve’s Fairlight audio editor would be comparable to Adobe Audition?

I wanted to ask if you would look into audio production in DaVinci Resolve and their audio production module called Fairlight? A lot of creators are using Resolve because they are not happy with Adobe, for several reason.

It is a very robust video production studio for free or $299 for the studio version. I think you would be impressed.

I would like to hear your feedback and if you could achieve the same production results with Fairlight. Maybe a video and tutorials in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this @Matt and I’ve not had the chance to play with DaVinci Resolve’s Fairlight aside from seeing it on display at some of the events I attended last year.

I’d be interested to hear what makes it great and worth considering.

How are you getting on with it so far and what do you prefer over Adobe Audition excluding the monthly price of course :wink:

Hey @Mike, I think that with all of the improvements in Davinci Resolve, its Fairlight might be an extremely interesting alternative to Adobe Audition. I use it for voiceover work, as well as promo commercials. Inserting (or remaking) some of your Adobe Audition presets for use in Fairlight would make for astronomical functionality for those of us with podcasts, video recordings of our live radio shows, and give us an alternative to having to make round-trips between Adobe’s ecosystem. Not to mention that Premiere users are leaving Adobe in droves for Davinci Resolve. Combine that with the fact that Davinci Resolve is free, even with Fairlight mostly intact. The Studio Version, which I own, does support OpenFX, but even the free version accepts Waves Plugins, XML and text based scripts (if I’m not mistaken). I would love to see how the Adobe Presets for Podcasters and the Radio Production Presets would work in Fairlight. I think it would save an incredible amount of time keeping it all in the same program with video editing support. With Adobe, I have to work in Audition, and then import into our videos in AE or Premiere. Not to mention, the multitude of upgrades and releases from Blackmagic to make new features available. My thought is that it would be a powerhouse combination. Shout out to @Matt for thinking of this 3 years ago!

This is a very helpful nudge @worldfamousrahim and all I can say is watch this space. I have certainly noticed some kind of shift in the content creation industry as prominent YouTubers have announced their move.

All the improvements like compatibility with Waves, XML and text scripts make Fairlight appealing to at the very least checkout. Prepare your brain for a whole new bunch of shortcuts :smile:

Absolutely. In the Studio version (one time fee of $295), there is an AI based vocal isolator that gets rid of anything from fan/AC noise up to vacuum cleaner and crowd noise. You can do an interview in a crowded room and isolate your interviewee with ease. Fairlight has compression plugins, noise gates, and other great tools. Even with a timeline based flow, you can choose only audio or combine both video and audio, and use a set of MRC plugins (like the Audition 3.0 type) to enhance the output. The program would do great with a set of them, especially since more and more people are leaving Adobe. On Resolve’s Deliver page (output), there are video presets, and also audio-only presets. Please consider. It’s been a while since I dropped Adobe, and miss the presets, not the cost.