Best Lav Mic for Outdoor use?

Love Mike’s channel & have bought his noise removal presets which have been really helpful - thank you :slight_smile:

I searched Mike’s videos, but couldn’t find an answer to this:

What is the best lav mic that you would recommend for outdoors use please? I’m struggling with wind noise on the YouTube videos that I’m shooting. Since they’re almost all outdoors - fixing cars, motorcycles etc, I need a decent one that will cut wind noise out.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Jonathan (Hamilton) from Windlesham in Surrey, UK

Hey Jonathan! :raised_hands:

It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying my channel and finding my noise removal presets useful. For outdoor recording, particularly where wind noise is an issue, the Rode Lavalier GO is a popular choice.

To tackle wind noise, don’t forget to use a windscreen or “deadcat” with your lavalier mic. This can make a big difference in reducing wind noise.

Also, here’s a blast from the past video with the Speedlink Spes which sounds rather good in this example: Speedlink Spes Mic Test. It’s another option to consider, though it’s not as common nowadays.

Best of luck with your videos! :movie_camera:

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your reply :slight_smile: I have now purchased a deadcat and will give it a go. (I think my Hollyland lav is at least as good at the Rode Go).

Having done some research, it would appear that the deadcat will inevitably attenuate some of the vocal frequencies. I’ve heard that it is possible to create a custom compensation curve for Audition using a white / pink noise source. Have you done a video on how to do this? It would be really useful :slight_smile:

Many thanks, Jonathan