Basic questions

Hi everyone. I am new to Audacity and I have few questions -

1. how do we remove this green triangle that appears on the top ruler once clicking any part of it - it only starts playing from that green arrow point on and I have a difficulty with getting rid of it.

2. While the maginigying glass feature allows the file to be visible all at once, from the very start of the file to the end of the file left to right) in one screen it does now allow me to see all the rows of other files with one shot from the top to the bottom). How do we do this?

3. I learned how to mix multiple sound files by simply importing in one screen and use the separator to play one audio to the next. While it allows me to save them with “Save As” function how do we display all the mixed audios in one row, connected all together?

4. This is similar to the first question how do we remove these green arrows at the top ruler, which keeps playing only in between them?

Thank you very much, guys:)

Heyho,

I don’t see the problem: When you click the ruler, you somehow “pre-listen” from the targeted time point without changing the start of a regular playback of your file. To stop any playback (pre-listen and regular) just click the “Stop” button in the top left-hand corner or press “Space” (recommended). Press “Space” once again to start playback from the marked position.

Haven’t figured that out myself yet. I’m afraid that this is impossible. The only way I found out to change the size of one row: Hover the thick line between two rows and drag it, once the vertical arrows appear. That will change the sie of the upper row.

“File > Save as” → creates a project file for later changes (Audacity only)
“File > Export Audio” → Exports all clips in the projects into a single sound file of the desired format (e.g. mp3, wav, etc.)
“File > Export Selected Audio” → Analogue to “Export Audio”, exports only selected clips
“Tracks > Merge Tracks (into new Track)” → Merges all selected tracks into one (newly created) track inside the project
INFO: How to select tracks/clips/audio:
A) Select tool active and selecting an area via click and drag
B) Click onto the area on the left of a track (in darker grey, under “Mute”/“Solo”) → selects whole track; Shift Pressed: Selection of multiple tracks

Do you mean the horizontal arrows, appearing when clicking and dragging on the timeline? They should disappear after playing through them once (or as soon as you stop playback).

Hope I could help a bit :slight_smile: If not, just ask again

1 Like

Hi Jaspa!

Thanks for the info.

1. How do we remove this green triangle?

Re: I got it removed.

1. All rows inside a window

: Thanks for the clarification that it is not possible besides changing the row height of each file.

1. How do we display all the mixed audios in one row, connected all together?

: Thank you, this is great!

1. This is similar to the first question how do we remove these green arrows at the top ruler, which keeps playing only in between them?

: Yes, that’s right. It’s the vertical arrows. I got them resolved by clicking on the start of the audio file after clicking on the Selection Tool icon : )

Hello

Does anyone know how to downward expand audio to remove noise in Audacity?

Not sure you can, Audacity has never been really good at noise reduction. It’s Audition’s claim to fame. If you can it’s probably through the use of plugins.

Hi @OleHenrik, thank you for getting back to me.

Any recommendations for removing noise in audacity while maintaining clean audio or effectively any other Linux based software compatible with Ubuntu?

Depending on the noise, you could try using EQ to remove it. Otherwise, this guide on Audacity noise removal is pretty good: How to Remove Noise With Audacity - Podfeet Podcasts. There may be other ways too, but I’m not using Audacity often enough to know about them.

Thanks @OleHenrik

I was already aware of the Noise Removal feature in Audacity, but was wondering if it was okay to use after recently discovering to avoid the same feature in Audition.

Will use it for now until I find a better method.