Background Noise Recording in Adobe Audition Presets

Here’s a look at a recording I was sent. It was recorded inside the Male Processed voice track.

Take a listen to the audio here:

The original Adobe Audition Presets work very hard on voices as they’re designed to make them loud and powerful for radio imaging, promo creation etc.

A couple of things you can do to stand the best chance of no background noise:

1. Make sure you’re using a high quality microphone.
  2. Ensure the input levels are louder. The levels on the above example hit around -18 dB. Try and get levels between -12 dB to -6 dB when recording.
  3. Make sure your recording room is as quiet as possible. Sound treatment is preferred but if not do all you can by switching off fans, closing curtains and moving away from loud computers if possible.

When you are having background noise or hiss pulled up in the mix after recording there are a couple of ways to begin to solve this issue.

1. Increase the volume of your recording. Using Waveform view go to Favorites > Normalize to -0.1 dB.
  2. This is an advanced tip! Go to the bus view by hitting [SHIFT] & 4. Now look for the Voice FX (Male) bus, select it and go to the Effects Rack. Now disable the Speech Volume Leveler. This will reduce some of the processing power of the track but should eliminate hiss and background noise were you are unable to avoid recording it in your initial recording. See image below for a guide on where to find these settings.

Thanks, Mike, for the advanced tip. Just a couple of clarification

1. What are your suggestion for a high-quality microphone, mind you I am not a professional voice artist but I make education videos in YouTube, so can’t afford an expensive one.

2. You mentioned to try and get levels between -12 dB to -6 dB when recording, where do you do this, in the Male Processed voice track before recording?

Thank once again for taking the time to answer my query.

Regards

Check this video here - How to Setup Microphone Levels in Adobe Audition

It’s a couple years old but may help ya - The Best Podcasting Microphone with Audio Tests

Hi
Thanks. Unfortunatly I am using a mic that has no gain knob to increase or decrese the gain to the level suggested by Mike. Is there a way to do that increase/decrease of gain before I start recording in Audition

Thanks

Hello,

I am assuming your using a PC with Windows 10, if your using a Mac then Mike or someone else in the community will have to help cause I’m a PC guy :slight_smile: Goto your control panel and then click Sound, a popup will appear with 4 tabs: Playback, Recording, Sounds, Communication. You want the Recording tab, find your mic and make sure it’s “Set as Default” (it probably is already) then select Properties. The Microphone Properties popup will appear showing 5 tabs: General, Listen, Levels, Enhancement, Advanced, you want the Levels tab. In this area you can adjust your microphone levels (volume) as well as your microphone boost (gain). Just note that the boost goes up by +10.0 dB and you can’t input a number. Hope that helps.

Hi,
Your assumption is correct, and thank you for the tip.

Best regards