Audition skipping in the recording? (recorded file has jumps)

Been experiencing an error in Audition when listening to my tracks on playback. Occasionally, it sounds like Audition skips a bit in the recording track, making it sound cut for a spilt second. This is not just in playback, but appears to be recorded that way. Any insight why this is happening would be appreciated!

I’ve attached an audio sample here. It happens when the host says “you’re here”

https://clyp.it/bxuruoqk

Here’s an image of the Spectral frequency display. You can see the skip at 10:29.

My signal chain is as follows:

SM7B Mic > XLR > Zoom F8N > USB > iMac recording on Audition 2019.

While recording on Audition, I also have F8N recording internally to the SD card. The recording jump is not present in the backup recording (thankfully). So I suspect it’s a recording error going from the Zoom to the computer.

Recording Specs:

44.1Hz at 16 bit

Audition Buffer Size: 4096

Computer specs:

macOS Mojave

3.6 GHz Intel Core i9

40 GB Memory 2667 Mhz DDR4

1 Like

Hi Marissa,
I think this could be your problem… Your digital devices (Zoom F8N & Computer) are un-synchronised.

The beauty with analog audio equipment is that you can connect anything to just about anything else and it normaly works. But when you connect any digital audio device to another digital audio device we must decide which device will be a ‘Master’ and which should be a ‘Slave’. You will need/should do this when recording any digital audio using your listed set-up chain.
By doing this, the internal clocks of both devices become aligned and stay ‘locked’ together when recording or playing back. This will removed the ‘digital drift/slipping’ between the devices used and in return produce audio without glitches/jumps or drop-outs.
I would set the Zoom F8N to be the master and the computer software to become a slave.

Here is a link on how to set up the Zoom F8N as an audio interface, recording back-up and master:-Zoom F8n: Audio Interface Mode - YouTube

Also here’s a link to selecting audio drivers in Audition (this is where your DAW should become a slave):- How to connect to audio hardware in Adobe Audition

A couple of notes for you… I would change the bit depth and sampling rate and to 24/48kHz. This will give you a better noise ratio and slightly more fidelity in your recordings. Make sure both devices are set to the same depth and rate. It will also allow you to pass and receive your recorded audio to other professionals easily using the accepted industry standard for media of this type.
Also your ‘buffer size’ is on the large side of things. I would try different buffer sizes to see if there is any improvement in the response of the DAW and HD when playing back and recording.

I noticed another small problem with your recorded file that you might want to address… your signal is clipped on the first words;
“oh my god”
The clipping is that ‘crispy/sizzling’ sound at the high end of the recording.
Solve this by turning down your signal input gain a bit on the Zoom F8N. You can always turn your audio up after it has been record well in your DAW later on.

That should put you on the right path for now, only read this next bit if you are already doing all of the above and the problem continues…

There is another possibility that could be causing the intial problem you described. If your computers internal HD is a spinning disk type with multiple read arms it could be either to slow to record audio in real time (7200 rpm is the minimum acceptable speed required for recording a stereo audio file) or your HD is failing. On a Mac, you can check the ‘health’ of a disk in your disk utilities…

WARNING:- Back-up all your important data first before you do this. Use a proper ‘bit for bit’ type program so you get everything!!! (Carbon Copy Cloner springs to mind as it can create a ‘Boot Drive’. So if your internal drive should fail, it will allow you to continue working on your computer until the broken internal drive gets replaced).

Be very careful with using the Macs ‘First Aid’ (found in the ‘utilities’ folder) to inspect the drive. This should help identify any problems that are present with it.

Do not use ‘Partitions’ on audio drives as this can create un-contiguous audio data. The audio file is split into more than one (contiguous) file and placed in several different places on the drive or multiple drives. This then slows down playback as the read/write heads in the drive(s) need to be positioned then re-positioned to the correct disk addresses at the right time for smooth playback. That then creates more wear and tear on the moving parts, which in turn creates additional heat which makes the internal cooling work harder, that slows your computer down and so on… :frowning_face:

Hopefully ‘Syncing’ will solve your problem…

IanT.

Hey IanT!

Thanks so SOOO MUCH! for the detailed answer, I really appreciate you taking the time to look and respond :slight_smile:

I think the internal clock certainly sounds like it can be a fix for us! Still too early to tell, but so far since using it we haven’t noticed any jumps, so thats awesome.

If you have a paypal or venmo I can tip you with, I’d love to send a lil something over!

Hi Marissa,

This sounds like good news… fingers crossed we have solved your problem.

Don’t worry about PayPal or venmo, that is really nice but I’m just here to learn, share and if possible, help.

Keep in touch and let us all know how you are getting on…

IanT.

1 Like

Hey Ian!

Thanks so much again. It’s been a few weeks of ensuring we change our AA Master Clock to the H8N when recording with it. And, so far so good! We haven’t encountered any skips as crazy as before.

Appreciate the help and wise words again :slight_smile: