Acoustic Treatment for a Home Studio

I’m looking for someone who is really knowledgable about acoustic treatment of small rooms that are to be used as a home studio.

I know the basics like placing bass traps in corners, adding panels behind you, to the side, on the ceiling and reducing reflective surfaces and windows.

I am however looking for someone who really knows their stuff in this department. Not just where but why you place panels in a certain place. How many do you need? What material? Difference between acoustic absorbers and acoustic diffusers.

We’re updating the MRC Live Studio with a new look and acoustic treatment will be a big part of this refit. I’n going to create a video series about this on YouTube so could be great exposure for the right person or company.

Take a look at a 2D and 3D render of our Music Radio Creative live streaming studio here. Let me know your thoughts on acoustic panel placements and any other room reflection reduction ninja tips! We’re open to changing the desk positions for optimum sound and anything else for that matter (apart from maybe the door and windows as that may be tough!)

mrc-live-studio-3d-render

1 Like

Use Sonarworks to define the problem first.
The most common problem is scattering the HFs and standing waves in small square rooms.
The magic triangle test will confirm this.

GIK for consultancy and treatment products

Going by that design, the back wall behind you is the main problem area.
Bear in mind you need absorption and dispersal without even touching on the subject of soundproofing.

Do you want me to go into fundamental resonance and sympathetic resonance for live mixing or is all this just for live vocal?

This is such a great diagram. Thank you!

The main purpose for the acoustic treatment would be to reduce reverb during live vocal sessions. e.g. Talking to camera or during a live stream.

The mic positions are indicated by the grey circles on each desk. I can see from the diagram that glass windows and doors will have a huge impact on bouncing :smiley:

Your room is fine, it’s not needed because you are close micing both vocals.
Just drop drapes during live sessions and revert back to bright office after.
If your new desk comes with a hard, reflective surface, you may need to cover it with Tolex.

1 Like

Led strip lighting ideas for incorporating into studio panelling.

1 Like