3 track recording, 3 way voice chat

Hi, I would really appreciate help to figure this out. How do I record a voice call with 2 callers during which everyone hears each other and after which I get 3 separate tracks for each person on the call? I want to do this with Rogue Amoeba Loopback, but I haven’t figured it out. There would be two voice apps, let’s say, e.g., Skype and Facetime. The callers don’t have to do anything on their end but just use the app and talk. I could record using Audition, Garage Band, Audacity, etc. Thanks.

Thanks for asking the question @mhd.

Ideally you’d need a multitrack audio interface like those from Focusrite or the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK. This will allow you to record different sources on different tracks.

You can then route everything inside Loopback to one of the channels on your multitrack mixer or audio interface and select it for recording inside Audacity. I’m not sure if Audacity allows for multitrack recording but I know Adobe Audition certainly does.

The best news is you can route audio from any app on your computer to individual channels on your mixer using Loopback. e.g. Skype could be on 2, Zoom on 3 and your own mic on 1.

1 Like

Thanks @Mike, but OK, I have mixers (Yamaha MG12XU, Behringer Xenyx X1204USB) and Loopback, but I don’t know how to hook this all up in detail. Can I get the details on how to do this with Loopback on Mac OS with my mixer (or with Mike’s mixer or some other mixer or an abstract mixer)?

wow! This is just amazing!

The callers hearing output would be a mix minus which is easy to set up using an aux channel.

With a traditional mix minus you send the entire output minus theirs back to the caller so they don’t hear themselves. With a simple mixer you could create a mix minus that would send all the output back but for the callers to be able to hear each other you do need a mix minus for each caller so you don’t send them themselves back again.

As far as I know neither of your mixers are capable of multi track recording. This means you’d get a single output file send back to your DAW from your mixer. Your only option is to pan and record a left and right channel individually then drag the left and right side on to different multitrack tracks but this isn’t ideal when you have more than two inputs and you have three.

Maybe time for a mixer upgrade to achieve what you’re looking for.

Alternatively, depending on your remote guests set up, you could try Cleanfeed. Their pro version does provide a separate audio track for each caller and they can hear each other. The standard version provides a single track.

In order for cleanfeed to work though they’d need to have mics set up to record into so may be ruled out on those grounds.