What software do you use? (or DAW :D )

I just wanted to know if I’m only outsider here. I’m Steinberg user, and I’m using there’s products for over 15 years now. I love new Cubase 9 and Wavelab 9 they are so well made and versatile. I’m familiar with Audition while it was called Cool Edit Pro. I didn’t like it at the time, and now…I just don’t have any time and will to try to learn new workflow.

I use Wavelab with Ian Sheppard’s plugins for mastering. I still use CEP2 for quick capturing and converting to mp3. My Main DAW is Studio One for tracking, Mixbus for mixing, came from PT.
A bit of Sonar for MIDI. (Old School Stuff)

It’s always hard moving from one software to another and generally I will find one I like and stick with it to the end or until majority of people are using it and I am the outsider hahaha.

I can’t reminisce with you over Cubase or Wavelab but I can tell you that Adobe Audition CC is very easy to pick up the more you use it. Depending on what you are using it for, those features will become natural for you.

Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Joe

Thx Joe, and to add to “more you use it” :smiley: I can’t learn new shortcuts :smiley: I’m getting old :smiley:

1 Like

I use Adobe Audition, I’ve been using it for many years.

It gets better with each new version. Adobe is focused on bringing it on par with their other products. So in the past few years the improvements have been dramatic.

I’ve used these DAWs (and others I may not remember):

• SAWStudio
  • SADiE
  • Pro Tools
  • REAPER
  • Logic Pro X
  • Ableton Live
  • Cubase

After all this time I haven’t found another audio editor that is as fast and intuitive as Adobe Audition… and you know I mean that :rofl:

The flexibility and fine detail Audition gives you to edit waveforms in fine detail, multitrack and reduce noise with their world class tools. I really haven’t found a better replacement.

Plus, I’m digging the dark theme, many DAWs are way too bright!

2 Likes

Rather than add a new topic, I’ll add to this one, because it is to do with DAW software.

After watching your live video on Creating a Podcast Trailer on Wed 1 Nov, I just have to pull you up on one thing you mentioned at 39:34.

Regarding “…If you know the basics of how one DAW works, you can pretty much pick up most others.”

I’ll tell you a quick story.

Nearly all the other mixers and audio producers on YouTube use Pro Tools. I thought, “That’s it. I’m going to have a go myself. My Scarlett came with Pro Tools | Free so why not?” (Pity Adobe don’t offer a free version of Audition.) :frowning_face:

Even though I have watched multiple videos with people using it, I felt so damn lost trying to do anything. It was completely foreign to me. Yes I knew how to add tracks to get a session started (which is a good start!) but I was just so damn lost on how to do things like I do in Audition. I was so lost I didn’t even try and put any audio into it and play around with it. Sounds very whussy in hindsight, but it’s just how I felt about it.

And something else that confused me on first sight was seeing TWO master channels in one particular session someone had created. What the hell is that about? I didn’t bother looking it up.

But in the end it wasn’t that that made me go back home to Audition, it was a video from a channel I subscribe to, RecordingRevolution.com, run by Graham Cochrane, saying, “Why Switching DAWs Can Ruin Your Recordings”.

Please watch the whole video. He might sound like he’s repeating himself a few times, but there are key notes that stand out within the entire video.

I’ll let his video save me doing any further typing. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Mr-Shortcuts

1 Like

Hi @Mr-Shortcuts, I was just going to tell you about the Recording Revolution when I saw your comment. I’m a subscriber too. I think he is right by saying that. If we continuously are changing from DAW to DAW, we will not finish at all. I have also the sacrlett and as you said comes with Pro Tool First and Abbleton Lite, but as you, I prefer at the moment Audition. I have to say that for music I find Pro Tools more for that purpose if we look about the “bars” and stuff, but Audition is more intuitive as I can see.
:metal::headphones::metal:

Pro Tools is primarily directed at music production. Like you said, the beats and the bars. I’ve seen you can align clips and stretch and compress them to the beats and bars with no loss of quality.

There is no waveform editor that I know of or have seen- it’s all multitrack.

Yes it has plugins, automation, EQ, compression, and other effects like Audition but it also has MIDI.

Audition can do all the same as Pro Tools: record audio, process it, mix it, master it, and mix it down to a final product. They each just do things a bit differently.

I’m with you on the other software being too bright. Adobe have done right to keep their products a low tone of grey. You don’t need to be blinded trying to see all the details.