Voice over Microphone processing chain

Hello guys! Quick question. I was always interested in processing a raw voice over with physical units like Dbx 286s etc.

My question is, what would you add in your Microphone processing chain? I have Dbx286s, what can come on the top of Dbx? What’s the next step in your voice over rack?

Or would you skip those devices and go straight to pc and then process in your daw? Thank you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Mihael I love the dbx 286s so would certainly use it in my chain if I were connecting an XLR microphone.

I usually go XLR Microphone > dbx 286s > Audio Interface (Focusrite 2i2) > Computer.

1 Like

@mihael I used to have the same set up that @Mike detailed in his reply, but wasn’t really happy with the final quality of the audio.

Since then, I have swapped out my Focusrite 2i2 with a Soundcraft Notepad 12FX; and the audio quality was much improved.

Tnx a lot @Mike and @Steve_Moore ! :grinning: :grinning:

Actually that’s just what I have. Rode NT1A > DBX 286s > Focusrite 4i4 > Computer
I just get an idea what would be some next step between Dbx and Focusrite, to even more boost and level the voice? Dbx 166xs or something similar?

1 Like

Hi Mihael… Great question! If you’re using a good XLR Mic, (I’d recommend the EV RE320 or higher) The dbx 286s is a mic processer for capturing good “voice audio” and more.

A good audio interface (Note: I used an entry level interface I think I got from Amazon for around $22.00) to convert that analog audio to digital audio and it worked fine for me. I only get the “Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Third-Gen audio interface” because I moved and don’t remember where I put the one I have. Plus the Scarlett looks a lot better and has great reviews and I just wanted it.

I use a DAW for further enhancing, like adding other Fx to a voice when I want to. Ho, By the way, I’m using Audacity for the record.

I see you have the equipment. So, I’d say you’re in the right energy stream in terms of capturing good audio. That being said, I don’t know of any other device you need in the chain for doing that.

A guy once told me, I could have a million dollar kit and not get out of it what someone else with a one thousand dollar kit could get simply because the person with the one thousand dollar kit tuck the time to learn and master the equipment he had 100% before moving on.

That leads me to a few questions for you! I see “you have the Rode NT1A, DBX 268s Focusrite 4i4 no less and a Computer which I’ll assume you also have a good DAW”

Question #1) What are you looking for or needing from an added audio device?
Question #2) Have you really, by 100% mastered the equipment you already have?

If not, I’m almost sure you’ll fall into a deeper love with what you have in front of you.

Master your kit and create something extraordinary and share it with me so I can celebrate with you.