Track 'Markers' Have No End Time By Default

Hi All,

I’m still fairly new to Audition, and have found that I have had to adapt my thinking completely from other (more basic) audio editors I have used in the past. Once I got past this however, I have become a real Audition ‘convert’ and am constantly amazed with what it can do.

The one thing though which I still can’t get used to is the track breaks logic (known as ‘Markers’ in Audition).

In every other program i’ve used, when you create a Track Marker at XX Min.XX Sec, it automatically sets this as both the End Point of the Current Track AND Beginning of The Next Track (like a brick wall if you will). Audition however uses what I think is very strange logic, in that, when you set a Track Break (using “Add To Marker List” or Keyboard F8), ONLY the Start Cue Point of the track is recorded, with the End Cue Point being left blank, so in order to create a set of back to back Track Breaks, I have been having to go into the ‘Markers’ list, and manually copy the next track’s ‘Begin’ Time into the Previous Track’s ‘End’ Time, which is clearly very manual and onerous.

I’m hoping that seasoned Audition users will be able to tell me that there’s a setting somewhere which would enable Audition to operate like this automatically, then I could finally dispense with MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab (which does this seamlessly) and do everything through Audition.

Many Thanks
Chris Pitchford

Thanks for the question, Chris. I’m not sure I fully understand what you’re aiming to do with markers. Perhaps you could post some screen shots or a quick video to demo the behaviour?

I do know that markers in Adobe Audition are pretty versatile…

You can set start, end and duration along with changing the marker type in the Markers window. Perhaps this is a good place to look.

Thanks Mike.

Have e-mailed a video as when I select ‘Upload’ here it only allows me to use still image files, jpg etc.

All the best
Chris

Thanks for the email Chris. If you’d like to upload the video here you could always send it to Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link. It may be useful to do that in order to get more replies.

You are right that MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab seems to have a feature Adobe Audition does not. As far as I know markers are placed at a single point in time without an end marker for the previous audio. You’d need to do as you say by manually setting start, end and length times.

The only solution I can think of to expidite this process somewhat is to select all the audio for the marker region you’re working on and then hit the M key on your keyboard. This will then place a marker with start, end and length times all set.

Thanks very much Mike. Frustrating to find that Audition doesn’t have a simple feature which may free and cheap editors do. I have found since switching to Audition that it does have a logic all of it’s own, which can be puzzling to beginners who have been used to more assistive kinds of editors. (You have to tell it that the sky is blue a lot of the time !). I’ve got used to most things though now, except this, and the fact that I can’t find a way to make my play and cue marker one and the same, which i’m also used to, as I prefer in many cases to cue by ear, using the pause button; and frustratingly with audition, you have to remember to click on the play marker you have set before it becomes the cue point, whereas I have been used to this being done automatically, as in many apps, the play marker is also the cue marker. (I’m hoping to find a setting which will enable this).

With the Track Markers thing, perhaps if I gave my practical example it might help illustrate why the Magix method is easier for me. For the personal copy I keep of my radio shows, I like to pile a lot of my favourite EQ on it and then split it into tracks so that its easy to navigate between tracks, just as you would on a CD or digital playlist. At the moment this is a long-winded process as i’m doing the EQ and Gain prefs in Audition, then having to import into Magix, where it’s easy to just listen to the point where you want the split, click one button, repeat, repeat etc.

I think I may have temporarily scuppered your suggestion about using the ‘M’ keyboard shortcut, as a while ago I re-assigned that to the ‘Mute’ function (which I had to do using a script as Audition doesn’t include it as assignable by default as far as I can see), so grateful if you could let me know what the function is which the ‘M’ key normally executes, and I’ll give it a whirl.

Most grateful for your time thanks
Chris