Rodecaster Pro mix out to ATEM Mini mini jack (3.5mm) in

I would like to take a “main mix” signal from a Rodecaster Pro into a mini jack (3.5mm) input on an ATEM Mini Pro. The idea is to record video/audio on the ATEM.
The “obvious” solution would be to connect a 3.5mm TRS cable to the Rodecaster Pro host headphone jack and to an input on the ATEM. A few possible problems with this:

• When monitoring the Rodecaster Pro host output with headphones, I hear noise that isn’t present in recording. I would expect this noise to be present in the signal sent to the ATEM. I don’t remember where, but I remember another Rodecaster Pro user mentioning this (noise present when monitoring host output, but not present in recording).
  • The Rodecaster Pro host output is unbalanced, so I think there is a greater chance of introducing noise between the Rodecaster Pro and the ATEM.
  • Using the Rodecaster Pro host monitor output for recording means the solo feature buttons could not be used during recording, or the recording would capture only audio for solo’d channels, when solo is enabled for one or more channels.

I’m thinking a better option might be to connect the Rodecaster Pro balanced monitor output 2 x 6.35mm (1/4in) to the ATEM unbalanced 3.5mm mini jack input. To do so correctly, I think something like a Radial Engineering Pro-Iso or J-Iso would be used between the Rodecaster monitor out and ATEM in, where a short 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS cable would connect the converter/transformer out to the ATEM in, and 2 (possibly long) 6.35mm (1/4in) TRS to XLR cables would connect the Rodecaster Pro balanced 6.35mm monitor outputs to the converter/transformer balanced XLR inputs.

Do you have suggestions for a better approach? Do you know of a more budget-friendly alternative to the Pro-Iso and/or J-Iso?

Thank you!

I think my approach will be to use USB to connect both the Rodecaster Pro and the ATEM Mini Pro to a computer and record video and audio simultaneously (OBS?), OR to record audio and video separately–on Rodecaster Pro and ATEM Mini Pro, respectively–then edit/sync in post. These seem to be the least trouble prone of possible options.

A few options here… The simple one is connecting a 3.5mm TRS cable from the Rodecaster Pro’s headphone jack to the ATEM input. It might cause some noise issues however. You also won’t be able to use the solo feature.

A better idea could be using the Rodecaster Pro’s balanced monitor outputs (6.35mm) with a converter like Radial Engineering Pro-Iso or J-Iso. This helps maintain a clean connection and reduces noise. Just connect it to the ATEM’s unbalanced 3.5mm input with a 3.5mm TRS cable.

Hassle free is to connect both the Rodecaster Pro and ATEM Mini Pro to your computer via USB. You can then use software like OBS to record video and audio simultaneously or sync later in Premiere Pro. It’s super convenient and doesn’t require extra cables or converters. This is what I do when recording audio and video from different sources.

1 Like