New to Audition. Being Brave. 1 EQ concern

Thanks to the Mike and the course, I’ve been bravely transitioning to Audition from Audacity. Parts of the workflow I’m used to is a little overwhelming and taking a bit longer, but I’m hoping to get faster. I LOVE the presets and suggested plugins. I’m struggling, however, to get used to having to wait to do the EQ/effects type of things on a massive project at the last minute before exporting and then they don’t save when I open it back up. I get the whole lossless audio thing, though. Any tips to get over my issue?

Was I supposed to create a topic? If not, my bad. Learning the ropes here. :slight_smile:

Hey there @patrick and a warm welcome!

It sound to me like you’re working inside the Waveform view and so your effects are not saving like you say.

Have you attempted to edit in the Multitrack and apply your effects to each rack there?

Correct me if I’m missing something here :slight_smile:

No I’m in multitrack. I’ll play around today with a test file and see if I’m just confused. :grinning:

Let us know how you get on!

I have to tell you, I’ve been using it more and more and getting more comfortable with your presets and the magic of RX-7. I’ve actually been working on some video projects for my teacher’s union, where colleagues have been contributing footage of themselves talking to the camera. I’ve been stripping the audio, loading it into Audition, working the Mike Russell Magic, and then back into iMovie where I add other elements from a template. The difference has been noticed! Tomorrow I will do my first interview recorded into Audition through Zoom.us, making it the first podcast episode that is entirely produced in Audition. :grin:

That’s great news @patrick - RX7 can certainly do some magic to audio that needs treating. So exciting to hear about your journey from Audacity to Adobe Audition.

It’s a learning curve but will save you so much time once you have it all figured out!

Hi Patrick
Welcome to the community … a bit of advice from an ol’ fart in the audio game. " though some projects maybe be more time consuming than others - invest the time - because you’re literally investing in yourself & your skillz.

If you’re not investing in yourself - why should anyone else ?

1 Like

Blimey! If you’re an ol’ fart in the audio game, that must make me a fossil.

So here’s a question. Our wonderful leader Mike has recommend I continue experimenting with using Auphonic on my files before working with them in Audition. I’m now recording in 32bit wav, but Auphonic only exports as 16bit wave. Still use auphonic? Is not not a big deal?

1 Like

Bin it and trust your ears. Learn from reference tracks.

The more you can learn how to get your desired results using your ears and the tools in Audition the better (as @The_Tone_Arranger suggests).

Auphonic uses a clever algorithm to do things to your audio but by doing it by yourself you’ll gain more knowledge on what works :slight_smile:

Picture the scene.

You are a well known recording artist’s personal sound and recording engineer.
You have made 6 commercially and artistically successful albums together in the same studio and you both love the sound of his voice and instruments so much, it’s imprinted in your brain.

You are about to record the 7th album when you get a call that the same studio is double booked and you have already arranged all the back up singers, musicians and orchestra and music arranger/supervisor.

You frantically try to book another studio with hours to spare and you all turn up at the new place and spend the first day setting up and checking levels. A week passes and you are no closer to getting your sound.

The next day you get fired.

Learning your craft means you can work in any studio because you have the tools as @Mike calls them to hand and know how to use them in any type situation or room size. You need to know what size room to book. Studios have various sizes for various projects. Some even have a soundstage. How do you know what you need? You let the old studio do all the work and now you’ve been caught out as a fraud because you simply never had the chops in the first place. So do a certified audio production course first and learn the building blocks and build on them. You only need to learn this stuff once. And always trust your ears.

Good info here. Puts the mastering engineers back in charge.

Sure … I’m alway interested in talking audio. As a point of reference I’m a dinasour 80’s rock jock & voice talent. Back then … to survive you learned it all or you didn’t survive very long.

While digital production has automated many tasks, it has come at the expense of the “human ear” understanding what/how the client wants THEIR imaging to sound vs what the producer thinks the client needs

Just my 2 cents, I’m quite sure somebody will fire the obligitory shot across my bow for expressing my opinion.

The episode I published last night was the first episode where all elements, including the interview portion, were recorded and edited in Audition. I don’t know about anybody else, but I have to watch the last 5 or 6 videos over again each week before my final export. :grin: I wanted to leave the direct download link here for feedback, if you’re willing. Poor Mike has helped me quite a bit with my sound and levels over the last several weeks with a new setup. Thank you all!

Fantastic, @patrick

You’re getting smoother and smoother each time you work inside Adobe Audition :slight_smile:

I had a quick listen and one thing that popped out to me was the music you faded in at the end (around 50:08). This seemed louder than all the rest of the podcast. Only slightly louder but it was noticeable.

Perhaps you could just make a reduction of -1 or -2 dB on that track in the future.

Anything you’re noticing from your end? What’s still your biggest challenge?

Thank you! I will definitely reduce that outro file.

I would still like a slightly less harsh sound. I did pull back on the nobs you suggested. I’m wondering if I can just edit some of your presets to achieve this.

Also, in doing the car test and listening to my show in the car last night, the difference in levels between myself and my guest was very noticeable. I’ve got to learn how to fix that.

And finally, I TALKED TOO MUCH AT THE BEGINNING OF THE INTERVIEW!!! :rofl::rofl: (Not an Audition problem. Ha!)

Hey @patrick just had a listen myself … I agree with @Mike to outtro is too hot …it’s ALSO to harsh of a transition try a slow fade in to about 50-75% volume till music fade out.

Remember one uber important fact … a good deal of your audience is probably on small speakers ( tablets, laptops or phones ) Don’t blow up their equipment up listening to your show at an over modulated level.

The days of everyone listening to audio via large Kenwoodm JVC or Cerwin Vega speaker systems is long gone with few exceptions

1 Like