New Skype version

@Mike You reviewed the new skype recently.

I have always used Pamela to record Skype. One of the features is that it records my voice and the other party in separate channels.

The new Skype records in Mono which makes editing virtually impossible if there is talk over.

I use a similar method to record phone interviews, but on a Mac with Piezo software. Still getting that handy voice-per-channel effect you mention. However, I had to update Skype twice, so perhaps it’s restored in a fix? Assuming changes like these are cross-platform.
I hear some people on Windows use Audacity to record Skype - is that possible?

I agree that getting two channels is critical. You can also split host and Skype using a mixer that will allow this. The simplest mix minus I’ve encountered is on Soundcraft desks like this:

@Mike, I’m setting up the 12 MTK, but I cannot get audio back out of the Mac (Skype or Audition). I’m reviewing this vid over and over but I know I must be missing something. Can you post an image of your board, it might help me troubleshoot which switch is wrong.

My Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK mixer setup is pretty complex! I have multiple sources routing in and out of it but here’s a current (this morning) setup of the desk.

If it’s getting audio out of Skype you’re interested in there’s a fantastic page in the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK manual that covers how you’d get computer audio onto a channel in your desk (check out page 9).

You may also want to consider using an app like Loopback from Rogue Amoeba. This will let you place Skype output on any channel you like on the desk. A pretty handy tool!