My Jingles Are Quieter Than Music?

Hi there!
Thanks for checking out this post. I had a question about jingle production.
When I make jingles and I play them with different songs, the songs always sound louder that the jingles even though I am processing the output of both the music and jingles so it is nice and even.
Why am I getting the illusion one is louder than the other and how could I fix this?
Thanks!

1 Like

Where are you playing them?

It’s probably to do with perceived loudness, do you peak the same on the levels meter? You could use match clip loudness to the. LUFS scale as this matches perceived loudness rather than normalising the audio.

Also if it’s going on Radio you’d be best passing the sound through an automatic gain control before applying the rest of the processing.

Hi @markdenholm!
Thanks for your quick reply. I play both my jingles and music on PlayIt Live (music software) with AGC. The jingles are all normalised. I’m quite new to the idea of “loudness” - what is “LUFS” and “clip loudness”?
Is changing the LUFS the same thing as compressing or limiting?

1 Like

Hi @AudioGeek

If you’re using AGC is the drive sufficient to level them up? Does the audio then run through a compressor?

LUFS is loudness units to full scale and is a clever function that calculates perceived loudness rather than just decibel levels. Depending on the make up of two tunes both normalised to -1db they may still sound different volumes where as matching the LUFS they may not register the same decibels on the meters but they will be the same loudness.

But, that said, if you’re doing radio then while normalising is a good idea to get them nearly there same level your output should be post processed to ensure levels are equal. In traditional radio this would take place in the racks room passing through AGC, multi band compression, exciter and limiter. But you could achieve similar with a software AGC and a software compressor.

1 Like

Hey @markdenholm
Thanks for explaining “LUFS” - I understand it now. :wink:
I always use (software) AGC but today I tried adding a (software) compressor as you suggested. This certainly helped to balance the music and the jingles and has really improved the levels.
Thanks for all of your help!

1 Like

Go for a fairly slow release time as this should mean the compressor acts for a fairly long time and should get you the levelled up sound you’re looking for without being too punchy.

1 Like

Good idea - I’ve gone for 800ms, but I’ll probably experiment over time. Is 800ms roughly slow enough?

That’s a relatively slow release so that should work.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! :wink:

1 Like

tHanks for advising the community members :slight_smile: