How to Build a PC for Audio Production

So you want to build a PC for voice overs, audio production or music production?

What I Learned from Building a PC for my Home Studio

I did just that and here are some of my learnings along with all the gear I used. I’m still using this PC today (at the time of writing this) and absolutely love it. Everything about it is perfect. I also use it for so much more than just audio but also video editing in Premiere Pro and live streaming using both OBS Studio and Wirecast. It is a truly great machine!

Building a Silent or Quiet PC

The first thing I considered was noise. Even the quiet fans make some amount of noise. If you’re building a PC for audio work or, especially, voiceovers you’re best locating the PC in another room. I grabbed this LINDY Faceplate to connect all the essential wires between rooms.

PC Build Equipment List

Essentials

Here are all the parts I used (these should all be 100% compatible) and a rough estimate of costs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO ~ $200
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470-Pro :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO ~ $150
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO ~ $800
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO ~ $150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x16GB) :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO ~ $135
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO ~ $90

How Much Does it Cost to Build a Good PC for Audio and Video?

Expect to pay around $1500 for an essential setup to start with. If you’re looking to build the very best PC for audio, video, music and live streaming you should start by paying no less than $1500 plus extras.

PC Cooling Fans

Three brands that I like all for different reasons. To summarise, Noctua I found to be premium bequiet! I found to be quiet and Corsair I found to be colourful. Depending on the look and location you’re going for these are all good brands and fans that I like and recommend.

Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and Noctua NF-A12x25 ULN :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO
Corsair ML120 PRO :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO

Storage

Really essential for audio work. You should have NVMe for operating system and any audio plugins (for fast load times) and some nice big drives for scratch disks and temp files. Here’s what I like and use.

NVMe: WD Black 500GB NVMe :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO
HDD: WD Black 6TB :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO

Audio

I had a cool EVGA audio card which I love for internal audio and editing and a great audio interface from Focusrite that I use for live streaming and recording audio.

Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO

Keyboard and Mouse

EVGA Z10 and EVGA TORQ X10 :video_camera: WATCH VIDEO

Questions?

If you have any PC building questions or knowledge to add, from your own experience, please post it in this thread.

1 Like