Encyclopedia of Audio Editing Terms

@Joe_Salmi This thread should keep you busy.

Audio Glossary and Definitions

Creative Transitions: The process or a period of changing from one state of condition to another.

Snap to:

Mix into:

Panning Mix:

Straight cuts:

Fade ins:

Fade outs:

Scene overlaps:

Athmos track:

Effects Track:

Music Bed: A piece of music designed, usually for radio broadcast, as a something for the radio host to talk over. Music beds are usually found in production libraries and tend to be specific durations such as 30, 60 or 90 seconds.

Narrator’s commentary:

Mood music:

Stings:

Cue Sheet:

Time Stamp:

Frame Rate:

SMTPE:

Voiceover:

Voice dubbing:

Overdubs:

Voice edits:

ADR:

Walla:

Pre-roll:

Noise floor:

Room tone:

Phase cancellation:

Clipping (Digital):

Diegetic sound: Is any sound presented as originated from source within the film’s world.

Jingle: A jingle is creative audio, often with music and singing, that is designed to be catchy and memoreable. Jingles are often used in radio adverts or as radio jingles to create a radio station brand.

Sweeper: This is usually voice over mixed with sound design effects. The idea of a sweeper is to sweep from one song to the next while identifying the radio station.

Ramp Sung Jingle: Around 30 seconds in duration. A ramp consists of a talk up music bed followed by a sung jingle with slogan and station/brand name.

Slogan Sung Jingle: Around 10-15 seconds in duration. Exactly the same as the Ramp Sung Jingle but without the talk up music bed included.

Shotgun Sung Jingle: Around 5 seconds in dutaion. Exactly the same as the Slogan Sung Jingle but just the station/brand name sung and no slogan included.

Non Diegetic sound: Is any sound whose source is neither visible on the screen nor has been implied to be present in the action.

2 Likes

Amazing @Hot_Jazz_Chick :slight_smile:

I made the topic into something descriptive and hopefully, over time, we can all help to build this up :+1:

I switched this post to be a “wiki”. I’m not entirely sure how that works on for our community but, from what I understand, it’ll mean anyone can contribute to and edit this post.