Audition on a late 2009 iMac

Hi all,

I have the possibility of getting hold of a late 2009 27-inch iMac. It’s a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, and currently on OS X 10.8.5.

Yes, it’s an old model, but from the little bit of research I’ve done, it looks like I can upgrade this model to High Sierra, and can install an earlier version of Audition (11.x, I think)…?
In my line of work, I predominantly produce radio ads and record VOs, and obviously the obligatory emailing and web browsing. I don’t do any intense work like video editing. I would probably upgrade the RAM at least.

Just wondering if I should grab this, or give it a miss? Would I at least get a couple of years use out of it? Anyone have any experience of this era model for audio work?

Thanks!
Craig

1 Like

That is really old now by today’s standards and Audition has come a long way since 2009. Here’s the reason why… in 2009 it was Adobe Audition 3.0 that was the latest version! To add to that Adobe Audition didn’t work on a Mac in 2009 either.

Could you do this? Probably. Would it be optimal? No.

Editing audio isn’t as intensive as video editing so it may work but better and more up to date hardware is always a plus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers, Mike! That’s helpful. I have no doubt in it working, but yes, my main worry is how long I could realistically run it for. So I think it’s maybe wise to skip this one.

I would take a pass on it. I have a Late 2013 iMac 27" and AA doesn’t really run on it. Especially the later versions after 2018.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve already passed on it.
Have been looking a lot at refurbished newer models. Any years to avoid? That’s interesting to hear that your 2013 model even struggles.

I bought a new 2019 MBP and it rocks!!!
Live Streaming, Pro Tools, Ableton, you name it even video and it’s awesome. Highly recommend you go big:)

1 Like

Is there any specific reason you want a Mac? Bang for buck you’ll get better value going PC based and if you’re buying a desktop then nothing stops you opening the case and upgrading to the limits of the motherboard if you find any components need the upgrade.

Worth a thought?

Hi Mark,

Apologies, for some reason I’m only seeing your reply now!
I haven’t totally ruled out a PC, but I just like the Mac workflow. The option came up to buy that second hand iMac, but I didn’t go with it in the end.