Audio inaudible when played on smartphone speaker, good with earbuds

We’ve been streaming our church services with OBS using a stereo signal from our sound board (Yamaha O1V96) into the PC’s microphone input (through an attenuation cable to get the right signal level). When someone views our stream from a PC or when they use earphones/earbuds on their phone the sound is fine. But if they listen using their phone’s built-in speaker, then it’s virtually inaudible (way too soft). I have no idea what is going on, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I’m terribly new at this. We have recently started streaming our church services, first simply with my phone now using OBS and “better” equipment. When my phone was doing it all using its built-in condenser mic, it seemed to work fine. Now that we’re using OBS and an audio signal via cable to the PC it only works when played back on stereo speakers or headset, but not on a phone’s single speaker.)

If you can hear clearly on stereo speakers but a mono speaker on a phone sounds quiet or silent this is likely to be phase cancellation.

I created a video on the subject (linked below). The best thing you can do to stop this happening is make your microphone audio mono. You’d do this in OBS by clicking the cog icon next to your mic source and selecting Advanced Audio Properties. Then just tick the Mono checkbox.

Try listening again and see if this makes a difference. If not you may with to try a different input source or different cables to see if this makes any difference.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. After an hour or so of searching I stumbled on a video to “fake” stereo sound that involved inverting one channel and wondered if maybe that was set up on our soundboard. I’ll try the mono setting first, but my next attempt was going to be just duplicating one channel (Left, for example) to both inputs (L & R).
Thanks so much for the idea – it must be the theme, but the mono box is virtually invisible on my OBS audio advanced properties and I hadn’t noticed it was there before.